Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cleanup


Seven people from my group left for Savai’i today. I’m sad I wasn’t on the ferry with them, but soon enough I’ll be in my permanent village, starting the next two years of my life. I’m scheduled to leave Apia on Monday, which has been extended by 9 days due to the cyclone.

There are still a handful of us in Apia, all leaving on different days. To keep ourselves busy, we volunteered with Samoa Victim Support today. We spent the morning sweeping and shoveling mud (and who knows what else was in the mud) out of the office building. The mud was about one foot thick… it was hard work. I have an infection in my toe, so I’m sure working in the mud for numerous hours wasn’t the best idea. Cross your fingers that my toe’s condition doesn’t worsen, even though I’m certain it will.
By the time the mud was cleared, it was all over our clothes and bodies. To clean ourselves off, we hopped in the back of a truck bed that was headed to the sea. There was a large group in the truck bed; to make room for myself, I stuck my legs into a bucket full of mud that went knee high. Oh the things I’ve done while in Samoa! Haha…

Anyway, we went to the sea to wash off. It was a wonderful way to end a hard day’s/morning’s work.

A staff member from the US Embassy was taking photos of us working in the mud. Once I get access to them, they will be posted to my blog.

Tomorrow will probably be another day of volunteering. It feels good to lend a helping hand to my new home.


No comments:

Post a Comment