Thursday, June 13, 2013

Packing Advice to Samoa Group 85


Invites have been issued to 16 individuals who will be part of Group 85. I’m not sure if you guys will be getting the same packing list as us 84s did, but if you do, then I must offer my advice.

Essential items to bring:

  • Several shorts that are knee-length, or appropriate length. In the village, you’ll be wearing ie lavalavas most of the time, but they’re usually see-through, so you’ll want to wear shorts underneath. When I was first learning how to tie lavalavas, they would always fall off of me, and my host family thought it was so funny. Luckily I was usually wearing appropriate length shorts underneath.
  • Wicking t-shirts. They really help me feel less gross in the heat/humidity (you’ll probably be sweating most of the day, especially when you first get here).
  • A lot of underwear. If you’re not fortunate enough to get placed in a house that has a washing machine (yes that’s right, two volunteers have one), then you’ll be forced to bucket wash your clothes. The scrubbing is rough on undies and all clothes—eventually they’ll end up with holes. Yay! Also, I suggest bringing sports bras. And FYI, if you bring white bras, they won’t stay white for long… no matter how much you wash them.


What I’m glad I brought to Samoa:

  • Headlamp
  • Hand weights. Some days are boring in the village, so working out is a good way to pass time. Also, us PCVs like to have fitness challenges each school term, so if you’re into fitness, you’ll be happy you brought a pair (not sure if they’re available in-country).
  • Speaker for iPod and laptop. Sometimes the rain is so loud, it’s impossible to hear anything. That’s when the speakers come in.
  • Cooling pad. It has helped my MacBook from overheating.
  • External hard drive. PCVs love sharing movies, tv shows, music, photos, etc., so bringing a hard drive is a good idea/will save you from days that are absolutely boring.
  • Airtight bags. I use one bag to store my laptop and charger (it keeps the ants out and protected from the humidity) and I use another bag to store the clothes that I want to keep fresh.
  • Water shoes
  • Snorkel set
  • Rash guard. Bikinis are okay to wear at resorts, but if you’re swimming in the village, you have to be covered up.
  • Board shorts
  • Backpackers poncho. Sometimes you’ll be waiting for a bus, and it will start raining uncontrollably. You’ll be happy to have a poncho to keep you from getting wet, while protecting the items inside your backpack.
  • Diva cup.
  • Several bottles of face wash. You can find American brands here, if you’re willing to pay an arm and a leg.
  • Microfiber towels.
  • Portable outlet. Sometimes the power goes out unexpectedly, for an unknown amount of time. The portable outlet has been invaluable for me.
  • Airtight box. Good for storing iPod, camera, passports, etc.
  • Leatherman, or a little gadget with multiple tools, especially a hammer, screw driver, knife, etc.


What I wish I had brought to Samoa:

  • An extra laptop charger. If you have a MacBook, you must know that you can’t buy Mac products/replacements in Samoa. My charger broke and I had to get a new one sent from America.
  • Cute going out clothes. I only brought a few dresses/skirts because I remember getting the welcome information and reading that it’s not appropriate to wear clothes that reveal shoulders, are above the knee, etc. So because of this, I left a lot of clothes behind—clothes that would have been appropriate in this country. When I say country, I mean Apia (they wouldn’t be appropriate village attire). I’m not saying to bring Vegas-type dresses, but if you like going out, bring cute sundresses, skirts, etc. They’re all okay to wear in Apia.
  • Sweats. Believe it or not, it sometimes gets cold at night. Plus the long flight from LAX to NZ is going to be a cold one. My flight was anyway, and I was kicking myself for not bringing at least one pair, so I had my family send me some.
  • Can opener. You can find can openers in Samoa but they’re poor quality. And I mean taking 20+ minutes to open up a can.


What I could have lived without bringing:

  • Chacos. Chacos seem to be the unofficial shoe brand of PCVs. Don’t get me wrong, they’re great shoes, but unless you’re going hiking every single weekend, they’re not a practical shoe here. The strappy ones anyway because you’ll be taking your shoes off throughout the day. So in my opinion, save the $60-$100.


Don’t worry about bringing:

  • Insect repellent
  • Sunscreen

PCVs are provided these items throughout their service, and you will be given some once you arrive in Apia. The sunscreen isn’t the best, but it’s free, so I can’t complain.

I wouldn’t bring items that you’re attached to/would be upset if they get damaged or ruined. The humidity is tough on electronics, and eventually clothes end up moldy and/or with holes.

I’ll update if I can think of anything else. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!
Update: If you're bringing photos, I suggest laminating them because the humidity will cause damage. Yep, it's that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment