Thursday, October 3, 2013

Community Day


Community Day happened on the second to last day of Term 3. The closest I can compare Community Day is to Open House in America. The students’ best work was displayed for parents and community members; it was all about the students, which was great. I chose to display work in which my students wrote about their favorite animal and drew a picture(s). I thought Community Day would be the perfect opportunity to display the progress my students made in the term. What impressed me so much is that Term 3 is the first term I’ve worked with them, yet they’ve improved so much, in a short amount of time. At the beginning of the term I assessed my students knowledge on alphabet and phonemic awareness. I re-assessed them at the end of the term, and was blown away by the results. At the start of Term 3, the % of students in Years 3, 4, 5, and 6 who knew 36 sounds (and blends) in the English alphabet was 24%, 29%, 27%, and 36%. At the end of Term 3, the % went up to 65%, 65%, 78%, and 76%. Most of my students can now identify the 52 letters in the English alphabet. It’s encouraging to see the results on paper because it verifies that I’m making a difference in my students’ English education. I’m excited that I have Term 4 to work with them, along with next school year. I know that they will continue to amaze me.

Below you’ll find photos from the day.


Look at my students' progress! The blue bars are results from the beginning of the term. The red bars are results from the end of the term!


Building a fire to make papaya soup.

Shaving the coconut meat.

The parents

Matching uniforms



No comments:

Post a Comment