Thursday, September 18, 2014

Term 3 Break-Year 2


Term 3 break was a long one this time around, consisting of three weeks off of school. The first week I was in my village, where I spent copious amounts of time sleeping, exercising, and TV show watching. That relaxing weekend was much needed for the busy and hectic break I had ahead of me.

I kicked off the second weekend of break going to my favorite beach fales: Taufua, which is located in the beautiful village of Lalomanu. I have one bus each day at 6 am, so I hopped on it early one morning. Before my bus heads to Apia, it takes a detour in the opposite direction to pick up villagers nearby. My bus goes as far as the village of Vavau, located in Southern Upolu, then turns around and heads for Apia. Since I’m so close to Lalomanu, it is ridiculous to go all the way to Apia, which a two hour bus ride away, then hop on a Lalomanu bus, which is about a 2.5 hour bus ride. So I got out of the bus at Vavau, and waited for the sun to rise. Then I began my journey of walking to Lalomanu. I did this for term 2 break but didn’t walk the entire way, getting a lift at the beginning of Lalomanu. This time around I wanted to walk the entire way, just to say that I can do it. And guess what? I made it! And it only took me 3 hours and 5 minutes. Not too shabby, eh? 
The Aleipata Islands are in sight!

I've made it to Lalomanu!
Shortly after my arrival, two fellow PCVs arrived at Taufua. We had a great time celebrating Michelle’s birthday!
Happy Birthday, Michelle!

The rest of my school break was spent touring Savai’i, a bit of Upolu, and American Samoa. Below you’ll find photos taken around Samoa. Photos from American Samoa can be found on the next blog post.

Enjoy!
Chips and salsa (in a used noodle bowl) on the beach... Ya!
We felt like kids at a summer camp
Asau, Savai'i, Samoa

Canopy Walk
Picnic on the beach, while overlooking the gorgeous sunset
Falealupo, Savai'i, Samoa
Bat caves
Seen inside the bat cave
Attempting to feed the sea turtles 
This little guy wasn't pleased. I was!
Manase, Savai'i, Samoa

First time driving in Samoa AND it's with a right-side steering wheel, on the left side of the road!
Life is perfect
Hangin' with my students on my village's beach
One of the 8 Baha'i temples in the entire world!
Vavau, Upolu, Samoa
I can finally say that I've climbed a coconut tree!
Better Friends
Any guesses what I'm touching?
If you guessed a LIVE cow named Terry, then *ding, ding, ding* you are correct! My life is full of adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment