Sunday, July 28, 2013

My House is a Wi-Fi Hotspot! Who Would've Thought?

I bought a new cell phone in Apia on Saturday. In America, I'm an iPhone user, and committed to Apple products. In Samoa, iPhones are ridiculously priced, and I mean close to the price of roundtrip airfare to the States. So I had to switch teams and am now an Android user... until I'm back in America, that is.

The positives with my new phone:
  • I'm back on Instagram! In America, I was OBSESSED with that app. I'm happy to have access to it again. If you're on Instagram, follow me: @angelinaaugust.
  • The phone allows its owner to connect to the internet via USB tethering or via portable Wi-Fi hotspot. The USB tethering only works on PCs, and I'm a Mac, but I can use the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. I'm using the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot right now, that's how I'm uploading this blog! P.S., I named my wireless network "Spurs." :)
The negative with my new phone:
  • The internet service is really slow in my village, so when I'm trying to access Instagram or Facebook on my phone, it takes a lot of patience. Oh well looks like I won't be going through data as quickly as I thought. The Wi-Fi hotspot is super slow, too.
Never in a million years did I think I'd join the Peace Corps, come to a little country in the South Pacific, and own a phone that allows me to use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Technology these days, sheesh!

This is definitely blog worthy, yes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment