Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tsunami Watch


This morning I received a text message from Kiri, a fellow PCV, informing me that she had just experienced her first earthquake. Kiri lives in the island of Savai’i, so I figured that’s why I didn’t feel it. Nope, that’s not the case—people who live in my island, Upolu, also felt the earthquake this morning. I’m not sure what the exact strength of the earthquake was (about a 6.9), as I’ve heard conflicting stories of its magnitude. A few minutes after I received Kiri’s text, I received a text from a Peace Corps staff member, reading: “Tsunami watch in effect. Standby for more info.” I went about my business in my classroom, until I heard sirens going off. I looked out the door and saw the school’s principal running into his van, putting the vehicle in reverse, hitting a volleyball pole, and driving off. The sirens kept sounding, as some boys yelled, “A tsunami is coming, Lina, you need to go up the hill.” At this point, all the students were running out of the school’s compound, racing home. The street was a bit chaotic, as people were running in every direction. One girl was even crying. I can understand their panic because in 2009 a tsunami hit Samoa, killing 189 people; the part of the island I live in was greatly affected.
My students using a tsunami siren to inform and warn the village that Samoa is under a tsunami watch. 
When I got home, my host family was listening to the radio. They said that the newscaster announced that the tsunami would not hit Samoa. I still hadn’t received an update from Peace Corps, so I decided to get my bag ready, just in case I was told of a mandatory evacuation. So what’s in my Natural Disaster Evacuation Kit? My backpack and a bag hold my laptop, camera, passports (personal and Peace Corps issued), portable outlet, peanut butter, crackers, water, headlamp, medical kit, and a change of clothes. Also, having cell phone credit is necessary, so I topped up my phone once I left school.

About an hour later, I received a text message from Peace Corps saying that the tsunami watch is cancelled. This was a huge relief because I experienced Cyclone Evan in December, which was destructive to the island of Upolu. I pray to God I don’t experience another natural disaster, of that magnitude, ever again. It was terrifying, to say the least. But just in case Mother Nature decides to surprise Samoa, Peace Corps has evacuation plans, depending on the situation. Also, my host family has a plantation that’s inland, so that’s the first place I’ll run to, if need be. If any loved ones back home are reading this, don’t worry. I’ll be fine over the next 15 months, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment