Friday, August 23, 2013

A Faifeau's Farewell

A faifeau is the Samoan word for "pastor." My village has one church; it's methodist. In Samoa, methodist pastors stay in a village for seven years, then move on to a new village. I've asked numerous Samoans the reason for the seven year rule, and I haven't been given an actual reason. Anyway, when a pastor's term is up, it's a big celebration filled with church and food, of course. 

The youth put on a special performance for the faifeau.



Off to the faifeau's to'ona'i (Sunday lunch). My host mother insisted we wear matching pulatasis. 


At the to'ona'i.
A feast! All this food was served to me. A vegetarian's nightmare, eh?
Of course gifts were presented to the pastor.

After the to'ona'i, everyone changed into lavalavas, and went to the pastor's compound for a special treat: ice cream!


Minglin' with the villagers

Two weeks later, there was a special to'ona'i for the new faifeau. Once again, my host mother and I wore matching pulatasis. She loves telling everyone that we're "twins."


I got to sit next to the new faifeau, during to'ona'i. 

No comments:

Post a Comment