Monday, January 7, 2013

Big News!


The big news is: I’m feeding myself, people! Let me back up a bit. I have a host family. All PCVs in Samoa do, as it is required. Some live in a room, in their family’s house, others have their own house, which is they type of living situation I have. My house is located in front of my host family’s house. It’s a cute house, studio style, with everything in the open. And… I have an indoor toilet, shower, and SINK, which is a BIG DEAL! Plus, my backyard is the sea. Literally. I’m blessed with my living situation. Anyway, when it was time to eat, my host mother would knock on my door to inform me that the food was ready. This went on for a while. Then one morning, I wasn’t called for breakfast. So what did I do? I ate my own breakfast: pb&j, crackers, and coffee. Lunchtime rolled around, and once again, I was left eating my own food. My host family did inform me about dinner; I had a few dinners with them. 

As of two days ago, I’m on my own for dinner, too! I don’t have many options, other than basic foods like soup, tuna, crackers, etc. because I don’t have a refrigerator yet. I should have one already, but the cyclone hit, so orders were never finalized. I need to talk with Peace Corps staff to get it straightened out.

Cooking my own food is a huge feat! There are some people in my group who are struggling with this—they’ve told their families that they want to cook their own food, but were told that it’s not fa’asamoa (the Samoan way) to let someone eat alone.

I’m happy that my host family is allowing me to be independent. I did move thousands of miles away from home, after all. I’d say that’s quite independent, yes?

The first meal l ate on my own. Like my spoon?? And yes, in case you're wondering, I sliced my lip with the spoon. Haha


No comments:

Post a Comment