Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas and New Year’s Day


I was stuck in Apia for an additional 8 days, due to Cyclone Evan. During that time, I volunteered at the Red Cross and Samoa Victim Support, cleaned out the Peace Corps Resource Room, ate good food, and saw my first movie at the cinema. The movie was Looper. I had never heard of it before, but didn’t care because I was excited to see a movie! I even went to the Peace Corps staff Christmas party. The Country Director, Dale, invited me. The party was at his house, and as usual, the food was delicious.

I arrived in my permanent village on Christmas Eve. My house is right above the sea wall, so up until my arrival, I was worried that my house was damaged from the cyclone. They cyclone did not affect Savai’i, which is surprising because Upolu got hit hard; it is like a whole other world.
Back to my arrival: The evening I arrived, my host family and I went to the congregational church in my village, to watch the youth Christmas show. I’m pretty sure every single Samoan in this country can sing and dance. They’re all so talented.

I was exhausted, but was told that I had to stay up because there was going to be Christmas tea at midnight. I instantly got excited because it reminded me of home, and the tradition my family and I have where we open up all our gifts on Christmas Eve, which is technically Christmas morning. It is great fun, filled with Christmas music and food. Christmas tea consisted of pie, cake, chips, crackers, soda, and coffee.

On Christmas morning, my host grandmother, host aunt, and I went to the congregational church’s Christmas service. Then my host family drove me around the entire island of Savaii. I was once again impressed with the beauty of Samoa.

The day ended with a swim at beach fales near my village. On Facebook, my status said that it’s Christmas day in Samoa, but it doesn’t feel like Christmas, which is probably a good thing. While Christmas music made me happy, it’s difficult to get into the Christmas spirit when it’s beyond hot and humid, and I’m celebrating the holiday with people that are still strangers to me. After all, I had just arrived in my village the day before. I felt/feel like the Grinch, but it was a good thing that it didn’t feel like Christmas because if it did, I would have been sadder than I already was (I was sad because I was missing my family and friends).
How I spent my Christmas
I’m so blessed to be in Samoa, but being away from family during the holidays is sad for almost everyone, I’m guessing.

I spent New Years day in my training village. Even though I just left a few weeks prior, it was nice to see my PST (pre-service training) host family. They were appreciative of the food and pictures I gave them. They even had my old room ready for me, with fresh bedding and clean towels. I slept well that night.

Being back in my training village felt comfortable and familiar. It wasn’t always that way, though. My first day in the village felt extremely awkward. But with time, it was home. I know that eventually my permanent village will feel like home, too. Right now I’m still getting adjusted to my new life in Savai’i. It's very exciting knowing that I'm spending two years of my life here.

Interesting Fact: Samoa was the first country in the world to welcome the New Year!
The room I lived in for 10 weeks. My host family had it ready for my New Year's visit

Kerosene lamp. There wasn't electricity, due to Cyclone Evan, so this is what was used for light

My host family's dog, Jason. The fallen tree is from the cyclone damage


My host family and me, during my final night in my PST village


No comments:

Post a Comment