Friday, August 28, 2015

Fiji, Australia, & Thailand: My Final Thoughts

So that's it. After living abroad for 26 months, I was home, arriving on Christmas Eve. Many people have asked me similar questions. One being about my travels and the country I liked the most. I've thought long and hard about this one, and I can't decide. Fiji, Australia, and Thailand all had unique characteristics about them. And in every country, I met a group of people who made my trip memorable.

Fiji was the one country I had always wanted to visit. I always felt drawn to that country and now I know why: It was the country where I would meet my amazing boyfriend, Greg. I'm a big believer of fate, and I like to believe that my journey through the long Peace Corps application process, my placement in Samoa for Peace Corps service (which allowed cheap and easy access to Fiji), and booking Beachcomber Island at the right time, were all steps in the pathway that led me to the moment that would change my life forever. My sister Steph loves to call it "serendipity" and I'd have to agree with her.

After Fiji, I said my goodbyes to Millie and Michelle, setting off to the solo-leg of my journey, starting in Australia. I mention in the Australia portion of this blog that after 26 months, I had adapted to my Samoan way of life: living in a small village, out in the bush. When it was time for me to leave Fiji and set off to Sydney, I started feeling a bit anxious and the effects of reverse culture shock started to take hold. I was traveling alone, so it was difficult not having a support system. I'm proud to say that it didn't take long for me to adjust; I stepped out of my comfort zone and made friends with my fellow backpackers, having a good time while doing so. Also, Greg and I met up in Sydney, and we had a great time as he showed me around the city.

The only negative about Australia is that everything is SO EXPENSIVE!

Now onto Thailand: I had heard horror stories about the country, but I didn't find truth to any of them. Sure, crime happens there, but it happens everywhere as well. The only time I felt unsafe was while using the motorbike taxi in Bangkok, due to his insane driving and swerving in and out of traffic. I remember thinking that if I was going to die at any time during my travels, that would be the moment!

I named my Thailand blog post, "The Best of Both Worlds" because I got the feeling of "seclusion/deserted island" at times, but it also felt quite developed with shopping centers and fast food chains. Plus, the airport in Bangkok has high-end designer shops such as Dior, Gucci, etc. I couldn't believe that Peace Corps Volunteers serve there because it felt leaps and bounds ahead of Samoa, but I am aware that there's a side of Thailand that I didn't see: a side that is very much rural and needs help from PCVs.

I loved that Thailand had the feeling of seclusion, but was also quite developed. I can see it being a turnoff to tourists coming from developed countries, though because most people want a getaway and  to fall off the grid for a bit. But for me, coming from a small Samoan island, I was in heaven!
Overall, I recommend Thailand 100%. Nice people, delicious food, and so cheap. Money goes a long way. I did all my Christmas shopping there!

For those who have never traveled solo but are thinking about doing so: I say, do it! You learn so much about yourself. Most likely you will be pushed out of your comfort zone, which causes you to grow as a person. If you're staying in a hostel, remember that most people are in your position: traveling alone and are eager to meet others, so talk to them!

Another question I've been asked is how I was able to afford such a big trip. Since I didn't fly home after my Peace Corps service ended, I was given cash-in-leiu to cover the flight cost. After that amount was taken into account, I only spent about $200 USD extra to fly to Fiji, Australia, Thailand, and home. I saved tons of money staying at hostels and not eating out every meal. Some of the resorts and hostels offered at least one meal in the accommodation fee, some covered all three, like at Beachcomber Island. In the instances where I was on my own for food, I'd eat peanut butter sandwiches. Other times I'd go out for a meal, get a to-go box for the leftovers, and eat that for the following meal. I especially did this in Australia because like I've mentioned, everything is insanely expensive there. In Thailand, I ate out every meal because everything is insanely cheap! If I didn't do all my Christmas shopping there, I would have spent next to nothing.

I'll end on this note: It's beautiful thing to see and experience another culture, its people, and meet other travelers from all over the world.

1 comment:

  1. PLEASE READ!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!

    Hi, I just want to share my experience with everyone. i got my blank atm card 5 days ago and i already made a total withdrawal of $15000. all thanks to MR GEORGE.its is programmed for only money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind, it just took only 5 days to be delivered to me with a maximum daily withdraw amount of $3000. The card is encrypted with a microchip that enables you withdraw without any traces,You dont have to worry about how stressful it is to get loans anymore or about credit scores.If you want to contact them, Here is the email address blankatm402@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete